Customer Retention Strategies
With any business, gaining new customers as well as retaining existing ones can be very challenging. If you operate a restaurant or café, then often over this time of the year you may find a lot of new customers visiting your business as they are on holidays or celebrating the Christmas and New Year period. How can you take advantage of this influx of new customers and encourage them to come back?
Here are some simple yet potentially effective strategies that are easy and cost effective to implement.
• Consider introducing a loyalty program. This could be as simple as a coffee card where after buying a certain number of coffees they are entitled to a free one. Maybe if you run a restaurant you can offer free desserts the next time they come to your restaurant or even a free kid’s meal with each main meal that is ordered.
• Ensure the product quality is consistent. There is nothing worse than getting a great cup of coffee or meal on the first visit but then on the next visit the quality is worse.
• Interact with your customers. Don’t overdo it, but done courteously and with genuine intent and respect, it can make a big difference.
• Look at what you competitors are doing and whether that may be impacting on your business. They may have special offers you may decide to match or you could come up with something different to highlight your point of difference.
• Consider using social media formats such as Facebook. You can use this to directly interact with your customers and receive feedback. In addition, you can use this for competitions or even to promote daily or weekly specials.
Remember that it is more cost effective to keep existing customers than to acquire new ones so take the time to find a strategy that will work for you.