5 Simple And Quick Shortcuts In Xero To Make Your Life Easier
Xero is known for its ease of use and fast processing times, two benefits which make keeping up with the books less difficult for most small business owners. Despite these features, it’s likely that there are times that you long for a simpler way to complete some common tasks. The following five Xero shortcuts make using your accounting system even easier!
1. Dates and More Dates! Whether you are adding a date to manual transactions, entering your payables or creating invoices, there are a lot of dates to keep up with. Xero knows how frustrating this task can be, and so provides a host of date shortcuts that let you quickly enter a specific date without having to type out the full 10 digits.
For example, if you don’t want to have to enter the 10 digit number for a specific date, just hit the tab key or enter the letter t in the date field to populate it with today’s date. Entering the “tom” in the same field will automatically populate it with tomorrow’s date, and “+[number]” will enter the date that is [number] from today’s date. Read Xero’s helpful guide on Date Entry Shortcuts to learn more about how to quickly enter current, past and future dates.
2. Quickly Switch Views Back and Forth with More Pages. There are times when it comes in handy to be able to quickly switch your view between two or more pages of data for your organisation. You can accomplish this rather easily by opening up multiple tabs as long as you are using a supported browser and only looking at the books for one organisation at a time.
The three easiest shortcuts that will enable you to enter a new tab are entering Control + T, right clicking on link and choosing to Open a new tab, or holding down Control + Left Click on a link.
3. Xero Login Shortcut. If you are tired of having to open a browser and then hunting through your list of bookmarks to get to the Xero login page, just create and save a shortcut to the program on your desktop. The easiest way to create this shortcut is to go to the Xero login page in your browser. Next, locate the small Xero icon that is found in the URL, or in the web address bar, and drag this icon onto your desk top.
Now that you’ve created a shortcut, you just have to click on this icon on the desktop to be instantly taken to the Xero login page.
4. Copy Invoices. Over time, many small business owners find that the majority of their clients tend to place similar orders. Rather than re-entering all of the same information for the same customer for each new order, you can save time by copying an older invoice. When you copy an old invoice, the fields of the new invoice will already be populated with all of the details from the original invoice. You can then edit the dates or other details as needed.
If your customer makes the same order on a periodic basis, you can also save time by copying an older invoice and saving it as a draft to use as a template and then use the repeating invoice feature to have Xero automatically create and send invoices at the frequency you select.
5. Quickly Access the Reports You Use Most. Rather than having to scroll through the long list of all the available reports, you can quickly access the reports that you use most by adding them as a favourite in the drop down list on the main reports menu. To add a report to your favourites, just click on its star icon so that it is shaded. This will work for all report types except the 1099.
You can learn more about how to make the program faster and easier to use by reading through these additional helpful Xero tips found in the Xero Business Help Center.